Geosafari wildlife

Geosafari wildlife

Monday 1 July 2013

Just to start with.

When I was first asked to revive my writing skills to help out a friend I was perturbed! Writing about things I am familiar with is one thing. Writing about my personal experiences, my favorite past times and a hobby I enjoy is something I found easy a few years ago. Back then I had regular readers who would stop me in the street to ask when I was going to be turning out the next newsletter or article for the local newspaper. But that was more than a few years ago. Lots of things have happened since then. I have made memories, some good, and sadly some I'd rather not have to remember. But that is life, and as the saying goes: "time and tide wait for no man!"

But why am I rambling on? Probably because I have no idea where to start really. New opportunities come along, some hit you in the face and scream: "Look, I am here! Do you want me or not?" And others simply hide in the corner waiting for you to take notice. And this one was, well, neither really. It started as a casual suggestion, more like my mind wondering, as it is prone to do. But this time the idea struck a note with the person I was in conversation with. He pounced on it with a ferocity that made me a bit nervous. He described the idea as "brilliant", not once, but time after time! I always liked the saying "behind every successful woman is a man who tried to stop her", but it's obvious that this man is not going to be the one to stop this idea. As I type he is in another country doing the groundwork for this new project.

So what to do, I ask myself. This is just the first teeny, baby step in this new venture/project/adventure! And I am heading off the topic, ever so slightly! Okay, Geocaching, the game that has seemly sane human beings running around after hidden treasure in obscure locations. I have seen very feminine "girly" types putting their long immaculately manicured fingers into the most unimaginable places to retrieve dirty little containers so that they can prise them open, sign the paper contents and return them carefully to the same spot to be re-found by the next hunter. I have seen grown men almost reduced to tears when the treasure they seek seems to have been "muggled" or is simply so well camouflaged or hidden that is has them beaten! These people have special meetings, they speak in code. It's almost like a secret religious sect. It's addictive, geocachers are always striving for the next find, 100 finds, 250 finds, 1000 finds, and the list goes on. There is a certain, unwritten honor for those who claim a FTF. First to find a freshly hidden cache.

So I guess that is just scratching the surface when I admit that I am one of these strange people. I am a Geocacher! I started back in 2006. I was looking for a sport that would get me out doors. And something that I could do with my dogs. I have located Geocaches in 5 different countries.  And where will it take me? We are going to work on Africa to start with.  African Geocaching Safaris to be precise. Planning is starting. Foundations are being laid down. "Together we will walk this road."

No comments:

Post a Comment